I’m currently sitting at the Grand Cafe De La Bourse in Masstricht, Netherlands. Carly is away at a mandatory work dinner, so I’ve got a few hours to myself. I’m having a tea, as I’ve already had far too much beer today (there is beer everywhere, and everyone is drinking it).
So here’s what I’ve found so far about Maastricht.
- The fact that the Dutch are the tallest people in the world is no lie. Not that everyone is a giant, but being someone of average height, I’m feeling somewhat small here.
- I forgot that Europeans love to smoke. Smokers are sitting at cafes everywhere.
- This entire city is wonderfully walkable. People either walk or bike to their destination, and cars hardly seem to exist. In fact, they seem to be a general nuisance here.
- While there is a large variety of food, the main diet seems consist of bread, cheese, and meat (and beer).
- That said, I have never seen so many Burger King restaurants in my life.
- I had some traditional European style french fries (mayo instead of ketchup). Not really sure I was a fan.
- There is a fair of some sorts going on while I’m hear. Everyone is milling around the square where it’s set up, which leaves the rest of the city somewhat quiet.
- I went to the Natural History Museum. I am now determined that Natural History Museums are the same no matter where you go.
- People keep stopping me to ask directions to things, so I guess I’m not throwing off the tourist vibe.
- Maastricht is a University town, so there is a nice blend of cultural backgrounds. There always seems to be someone near by not speaking Dutch.
All in all, the first day has been pretty relaxing so far, and I’m looking forward to exploring the city a little more tomorrow.